Friday, March 18

And the Winner is.....

E)!!!

I will eventually show you all of those items, but the one you chose is:

Burlap Upholstered Headboard


This is a past project so I'm going to try my best to show you how I made it!

Supplies you will need:

  • 3 yds of burlap
  • One piece of plywood 4' T x 5' W (Queen)
  • Nail Heads
  • Staple Gun
  • Quilt Batting
*I got all of these items from Hobby Lobby, but the plywood came from my parents garage. =)


First of all, I LOVE burlap! I am all about texture and I think this texture gives off so much character. Plus, it is very friendly on your wallet! It is normally just $3.99 per yd and it goes on sale for even less!

The first step is to cut the plywood into the shape/style that you want. Once you have your plywood ready, the next step is wrapping the board in quilt batting. I just stretched it across and stapled it into place. I did the same thing with the burlap. Make sure you pull the burlap extra tight!


After I did the burlap, I started with the nail heads. I didn't measure the widths, but if I did I would have measured the distance and placed a permenant marker dot where I need to place a nailhead. I.hate.math. and on top of that "issue" I get really excited when I am making something new, so sometimes I scarifice "precisness". Ooops?


I started off by putting the nailhead trim around the perimiter of the headboard. Then I added them to the front to give it a tuffted look.


I love this headboard, but if I made another one I have learned some important "tips". Burlap is a loose woven fiber, so it already has some natural give to the fabric. I pulled mine tight when I stapled it, but over time the wrinkles have appeared. So, make sure you pull the burlap TIGHT. I also would have doubled-up on the quilt batting. I wish it was a little more "fluffy".


The bed is currently in our guest bedroom. I have a lot more plans for this room and I am excited to finish it. I found some great fabric for some throw pillows, so I will show you those soon!

So, for the price breakdown....I can't remember everything, but I will try my best! The wood was free and I already had the staple gun/staples. I always use coupons, so I'm sure I used a 40% off coupon for the quilt batting. I have no idea how much that cost. This headboard has had MANY transformations, so I actually wrapped it in the batting several years ago. I get the majority of my burlap from Hobby Lobby. They put it on sale for $2.77 per yd every couple of weeks. The burlap that I got to make this headboard was from the remnent bin at HL. It is always a good idea to take a little stroll past this section! I've found some awesome stuff for very discounted prices. It isn't "bad" fabric, it is just simply the last little bit left on a bolt. I know that I got the 3 yds for around $6. The nail heads are located in the upholstry section at HL. I used 4 boxes and they are .99 per box.

Total Cost: $9.96 + quilt batting. I know I spent less than $20, but I don't know exactly!

What item do you want to see next?! I am going to get started on more projects this weekend! Maybe paint the kitchen? Who knows!

I hope y'all have a GREAT weekend! The weather is beautiful! If you have any questions e-mail me and I would be glad to answer them!






No comments:

Post a Comment